Saturday, December 5, 2015

Dec. 4, 2015

Dec. 5, 2015
On Monday, Nov. 30, we had our office meeting and following it we held a birthday luncheon for Sister Workman and Sister Spencer.  I had lots of left overs from Thanksgiving and they actually tasted pretty good.  Sister Francis made barbeque chicken and I made ‘Mormon’ potatoes; with the left over rolls, pies, and jello--it was a feast. 
We went to the Temple on Thursday night with the Haggerty’s.  We did sealings and it was very peaceful and calm there.  There really is a tangible spirit while doing sealings.  Those people can either accept or reject this wonderful blessing.  Sister Haggerty had some of her relatives work done, and it is a special thing to do this for someone you are related to.
Dec. 1 was the first accident of the month for Elder Merrill.  Please learn how to back up without hitting other parked cars!  How does an Elder back into a parked car with his companion behind him guiding the way??  Makes me wonder—was this how it actually happened? 
We are all excited to have the Steve and DeAnna Aldrich come to the mission in January.  I know that they will be able to help in many ways.  The senior couples really do so much good in the mission field.  They are called as MLS missionaries (Member Leadership Support) and so they aren’t’ asked to proselyte (but they can).  They help with the ward/branch and help fellowship, support the young missionaries, do what the Bishop asks and find ways to bring back those that are less-active.  The MLS missionaries here do such a great job.  They have found many creative ways to help others.
Sister Spencer told me about her father joining the church.  The kids of the family were first to join during their late teens and early twenties.  Their mother was later baptized and their father held back.  He was baptized at 84.  He was asked to speak after his baptism and he told of how he had watched his family and the things they did and how it hurt him each time his wife went to the Temple without him.  He said how sorry he was that he stayed on the outside looking in.  A good friend to Sister Spencer was at the baptism and hadn’t been baptized either.  She heard that short sentence and asked the missionaries to baptize her also.  She didn’t want to be on the outside looking in either.  Sister Spencer says that her father loved to tell people that he hadn’t been a member for 1 hour before he had his first convert.
Last Sunday a brother from our branch asked if I would talk to him privately.  I said sure.  He began by telling me that he really wants to go on a mission, but that his wife doesn’t.  He then proceeded to tell me that he doesn’t love his wife and that their marriage was just a marriage of convenience.  He said that he had a son and was single and she had a daughter and was single, living with her parents.  They married to help their children.  They have been married 35+ years and have other children (and they are married in the Temple).  I listened and then told him that I didn’t think that she would want to go with him on a mission if she didn’t feel that he loved her.  I suggested that he work on looking for things about her that he liked and then find ways to show love and support for her.  I don’t see how anyone could come on a mission as a couple and have a good experience without love for their companions.  I told him that he needs to build a better relationship at home and then she may want to spend 24/7 with him.  We all need to look for the good in our companions.  It is so easy to see ‘the mote’ (criticize our spouses)  when we really have a ‘beam’ in our own eyes.  I am so blessed to have a companion that treats me with love and respect.  It has been a great experience to share so much time together.  (However, our desks are not side by side, lol)  I have been so impressed with how quickly Elder Merrill has caught onto the computer programs and how efficient he is in doing his job. 
Addie cut her own hair this week.  I had to laugh a little (sorry Jill).  Jill cut her bangs to the skin 2 times.  She was probably Addie’s age or older.  She hid behind an overstuffed chair and chopped them off.  The first time I was shocked and she didn’t seem to be bothered by the look.  The 2nd time I took her to the mirror and asked, “is this really what you want to look like?”  She took a good look and started to cry.  She didn’t do it again.  (well now she cuts lots of hair; must be getting it out of her system)

The AP’s (assistants to the President) are coming over tonight for dinner.  We are going to have shepherd’s pie.  Hope they like it.
We went to Bergen today and had lunch with some of the senior missionaries.  We had a good time and a good lunch at a diner out of the way.  Great P-Day!
Elder Merrill, Elder & Sister Woodhouse, Elder & Sister Workman, Elder and Sister Spencer
Elder & Sister Woodhouse, Sister Merrill, Elder & Sister Workman, Elder & Sister Spencer
It looks like our new shop is coming along pretty well.  It is fun to get the pictures of the progress.



Happy Birthday Karsten Jagielski!  He is 16.  We are so proud of you!  

1 comment:

  1. everyone keeps reminding me that I cut my hair.... but with my kids Brytlee did it, Alexis has, and now Adison.... I swear you can take the curse off mom... my kids may be three times worse than I was. Ha ha ha. J/K I am over it now and put my mom goggles on again and they are all great kids. So good to see how you are doing. I am so glad that I have parents that love each other. You guys are the best example of how I have always wanted to be treated and how I wanted my life to be. I love you guys tons.

    ReplyDelete